Friday, June 5, 2015

last family friday!

today was penny's last family friday as a kindergartener.  we both wore our PS 321 shirts.  as we entered the building, she pointed me to go in one direction while she went in the other.  i explained to the principal that she is getting me ready for first grade, and she cracked up.

last night i had a dream that we were at this family friday and the teacher pulled me aside and said "i have to talk to you" in a tone that implied i had done something very wrong.  she was walking me to a conference room when i woke up, so i don't know what i may have done to deserve a kindergarten teacher's wrath.  i told her about it this morning, and she assured me that i was fine.

penny read me her snail study (sample page: will a snail crawl up a pencil? yes.  a snail will crawl up a pencil. i know because our snail crawled up a pencil.), a book of weekend reports, and her folder of poetry.  i sat with her in her rug spot.  the teacher played a slideshow of photos of the whole year.

i looked around the room at the volume of people that had seemed so overwhelming at the beginning of the year.  there was always at least one boy and one girl that i didn't recognize, one parent that i couldn't place with a kid, but they're all a part of my community now.  we run into each other in the neighborhood, even without our kids, and we know what's happening in each others' lives.  now that i won't be walking her in every day, this interaction will go away.  unless she's in the same class as these same kids, i won't know them.  it's just one more step toward her growing up.  no more rug spot, no more centers.  first grade.  it's on the way.  lucky for me, penny's been easing me into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment